This Sunday, Ryan preached a sermon from Psalm 3, titled, “When Your Whole World is On The Brink.” Psalm 3 is one of many psalms that express lament for lamentable circumstances and, ultimately, hope in God’s saving power and goodness.
In his sermon, Ryan showed us how Psalm 3 gives us an example of how our own thoughts and prayers and feelings can progress: Lament (1-2), Remembrance (3-5), Resolve (6), Request (7-8). This psalm, along with others like it, provides a helpful prayer template for our own laments, sadnesses, discouragements, and depression.
Below are a number of helpful resources for thinking through and wrestling with depression:
- Saturday Seminar: Depression, DSC audio lectures by Ryan Kelly
- Depression, A Stubborn Darkness: Light for the Path, Book by Ed Welsch
- Depression: The Way Up When You are Down, Booklet by Ed Welsch
- “The Heart of Depression,” Article by Ed Welsch
- “The Dark Night of The Soul,” Article by R.C. Sproul
- Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cures, Book by Martyn Lloyd Jones
- When the Darkness Will Not Lift: Doing What We Can While We Wait for God – and Joy, Book by John Piper
- “Darkness of Depression,” Radio Interview with David Powlison
- “Is Depression Purely Biological?,” Video with David Powlison
- “Charles Spurgeon: Preaching Through Adversity,” Message/Biography by John Piper
Ed Welsch discussing depression:
[RSS and email readers, click here to view this video]
Unfortunately, due to audio equipment issues, the audio for Ryan’s sermon is not available.